Monday, April 28, 2008

Race to Recovery



Growing up I was never really the athlete of the family but I was ok with that. I got to watch my sister and brother do sports and track. I was a cheerleading in 9th grade but didn't continue through highschool. So I'm not really the sports fanatic.
So last year at the end of our women's retreat at our church they told us the theme of women's ministry for the next year and it was/is Run the Race. The kicker to that was at the retreat this year on Saturday morning they were going to have a 5K race. So I figured that myself and a couple friends would walk the 3.2 miles, but then some of my other friends started asking me if I was going to run the race and I told them, "I'm not a runner, I don't like running so no I think I'll still walk.
Well David and a couple of my friends that do run started encouraging me that I could do it and that it was only 3.2 miles it's not that far. I'm thinking yes that is far considering I haven't ran that distance ever in my life. So I started training to run the 3.2 miles, gradually building up the time I ran each week for about 6 weeks. And in the end I was able to do it and stopped and walked twice but I finished it in 34 minutes and 19 seconds! I was pretty excited about it and it did feel good to be able to finish. So I'm not going to classify myself as a runner yet but I think that I'll keep it up for a while.

Hebrews 12:1 ". . . and run with endurance the race set out for us, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith."

3 comments:

Starr said...

Go Amy! I am super impressed. Sporting your NSU attire as well. :-)

Unknown said...

You did so good, babe!

Kelly said...

*chirp* *chirp*

Just checking in with the Hinkle Hut, haven't seen an update in a while. How are things going?